Since 2010, the Ferguson Twilight Run has brought together friends, neighbors, families, runners and walkers from throughout the area. And even with the trials facing the community over the past 10 months, this year was no different. More than 1,900 registered for the event, with 1,070 finishers in the 5K and 301 finishers in the 10K.
From its first race, the Ferguson Twilight Run has donated proceeds to support the community. This year, in memory of its friend and Ferguson Twilight Run planning committee member, Donnie White Sr, the race renamed the beneficiary award the Donnie White Sr. Memorial Ferguson Twilight Run Award. White passed away in September 2014.
“We continue to be humbled and honored by his leadership and support for the race over the years,” said a press release from Live Well Events, hosts of the race. “His presence was missed this year, but his strength carried through his family and friends, who were present to honor his spirit.”
The 2015 beneficiaries include:
- The Emerson Family YMCA received $6,000 to benefit its camp scholarship and subsidies for its annual summer camp offering daily opportunities for recreation, character development education, healthy living and family events.
- Marygrove receives $3,000 to benefit its Recreation Therapy Program, which provides children with an opportunity to learn to relate to peers, learn about nature and the world around them, and understand how to work as part of a team.
- The St. Vincent Home for Children Learning Annex receives $2,250 to support the development of the annex, consisting of healthy living lessons, culinary arts programming, youth development activities, financial planning classes and arts education.
- The Girls on the Run St. Louis – Bermuda Elementary Scholarship Fund receives $1,500 to provide need-based scholarships and funding for the school’s training and program materials.
- The Ferguson Youth Initiative receives $1,500 to benefit the Ferguson component of St. Louis BWorks Earn-a-Bike program that gives youth the opportunity to earn a free bike while they learn about bicycle safety and maintenance from volunteers.
- Friends of Ferguson Disc Golf receives $750 toward installation of a nine-hole disc golf course at Hudson Park.
Organizers seeking to apply for next year’s Donnie White Sr. Memorial Ferguson Twilight Run Award can find an application at www.fergtwilightrun.com/live-well-events in late October.
Leave A Comment