To ensure guests have the most up to date information about Lake Lou Yaeger Recreational Area in Litchfield, Illinois, the Litchfield Tourism Office has compiled a list of the seasonal changes for the park.
- Rental Equipment: Lake Lou Yaeger will continue to rent Kayaks, Stand-up Paddle Boards, and Corcls the next two weekends. Rentals will only be available on August 29 and 30 and September 5, 6, and 7, 2020. They will be available to rent from the Marina 1 Store (4943 Beach House Trail) from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Marina 1 Store: The Marina 1 Store is open every day except for Tuesdays. Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends and holidays. Weekend hours may be modified in October. The Marina phone number is 217-324-5441 and the address is 4943 Beach House Trail.
- Camping Season Extended: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the campgrounds at Lake Lou Yaeger opened late in the year. The City of Litchfield approved a motion to extend the camping season to December 1. Daily camping at the Primitive Campground, the Bicentennial/RV/Powered Campground, the Blake Lowry Horse Campground, and the Camping Cabins will be available through December 1, 2020. Reservations for the Primitive Campground, the Bicentennial/RV/Powered Campground, and the Blake Lowery Horse Campground can be made by calling Campground Manager Wes at 217-324-4771; Camping Cabin reservations can be made by calling Sandy at Marina 1: 217-324-5441. Camping Cabins are only available on weekends and must be rented for a minimum of two nights.
- Route 66 Hike & Bike Trail, Shoal Creek Conservation Area, and Equestrian Trails: The trails are open to guests for exploration every day throughout the year. However, for trail preservation, please avoid the trails if they are wet. Giving the trails a break following a rain helps to prevent ruts and damage.
- Playgrounds and Picnic Areas: Playgrounds and picnic Areas remain open. If you are needing an outdoor space for a social gathering, you can reserve a picnic area by calling the Lake Office at 217-324-5832.
- Milnot Beach Meeting Room: The all-weather meeting room at the Milnot Beach House is available for reservations. This space is ideal for meetings and parties. For more information on this space please call 217-324-5832.
LAKE DRAWDOWN ALERT: The annual drawdown of Lake Lou Yaeger will begin earlier than usual this year as part of executing the Federal 319 Grant. The City of Litchfield has contracted with a company to create In-Lake Silt Basins, which will require the level of the lake to be dropped by about 4 feet from full pool. The Lake Department will be opening the bottom gate of the Water Intake Structure on September 8, 2020, to begin the drawdown. It is expected that the level of the lake will drop rapidly, so anyone with watercraft stored on the lake should make plans to have it removed from the lake no later than September 9 to avoid having it stranded on the lake for the winter. Small fishing vessels are still permitted to utilize the lake at the boater’s own risk. PLEASE NOTE: The boat ramps only extend 6 feet beyond the end of the boat docks at Marina 1. Trailers attempting to remove large vessels from the lake may suffer severe damage if the trailer wheels extend beyond the end of the boat ramp.
If you have any questions about Lake Lou Yaeger outside of what is listed above, please contact the Lake Department at 217-324-5832.
SPECIAL TOURISM TIP: Bald Eagles are found at Lake Lou Yaeger Recreational Area. When visiting, be sure to bring your binoculars or spotting scope. In addition to Bald Eagles, there is an abundance of flora and fauna to enjoy!