Bubba Cross #5
November 7, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
First – a bit of History. Why the Bubba Memorial? Big Shark “Veteran Racer” Butthead (aka- Josh Johnson)- a previous season’s A Race winner received a dog a long, long time ago named “Bubba.” Butthead thought Bubba was a puppy, which it/he was definitely not. Actually, many people at first mistook Bubba for some sort of Hog, (perhaps a razorback?), but that is a different issue entirely. Although we enjoyed Bubba we did not think Bubba was going to live past another cross season. We really didn’t. He was NOT a puppy. So this series is dedicated, again, to Bubba. Sadly, Bubba passed away many summers ago- despite being commemorated for the past decade. We miss him Bubba, although in truth he really had exceeded all of our expectations by remaining somewhat alive for as long as he did. He was adorable, albeit weird.
When? Select Saturdays and Sundays in October, November, and December
What? Cyclocross features a perfect blend of mountain biking and road bike racing – plus a few skills unique to the sport. It’s a great way to spend the day outdoors as the seasons change – and keep your competitive edge. Lots of cowbell. Each race is under an hour – and we allow athletes to self-select their category based on fitness, competency, and what they did the night before.
Need a Bike? Big Shark Bicycle Company carries Cannondale, Giant, Surly, Marin, Santa Cruz, All-City, MOOTS, and other super awesome cyclocross bikes. Yep.
Daily Prizes: Over $720 Prize List Each Day, $7200 for the series.
Special Prizes: Kounter Kulture is a carry out restaurant offering a locally sourced Asian menu. Clean proteins, local rice, convenient, sustainable fuel. They are going to be offering $5 Off Vouchers to the winners each week of the Women’s B, Masters Overall, and Men’s Category C racers.
And…Check out Songbird -Opening this Fall, is a partnership between Kitchen Kulture and Sump coffee. A breakfast/lunch model located in Forest Park SE is a convenient stop on many training routes or day rides. Pop in for a coffee or breakfast sandwich! (Curbside and online ordering to start!)
Overall Series Prize: The individual man, woman, or child with the highest point total (regardless of category) will win a $2000 Training Vacation to The Cycling House in Tucson, Arizona.
Overall Winner of the Men’s and Women’s “A” Race will win free entry for the following season.
Overall Winner of the “B” Race will win a fabulous set of something fabulous. Stay tuned!
Overall Winner of the Masters Races will win a fabulous set of something fabulous. Really. Men/Women
Overall Winner of the “C” Race, Women’s “B”, and the Single Speed category will win something worthy of your titan efforts. No. You won’t win a puppy named “Bubba”.
Free Clinic!: Join us before the first race for a FREE CLINIC! October 10th from 8:30am until 10am.
- The Categories: A= Men’s 1/2/3, B= Men’s 3/4, C= Men’s 4. Women’s A=1/2/3, B=3/4/5, Masters 40+/50+/60+ Men and Masters 40+ Women, Virgins.
- Virgins– You can only race in this category once…aka your first time.
- Registration: On-site opens at 10:00 am.
|Category||Start Time||Duration||Prize List|
|Registration||10:00 am||Closes :30 Pre-race|
|Masters 40+ Women||10:45 am||45 minutes||3 Places/$30, $20, $10|
|Masters 40+/50+/Single Speed||10:45 am||45 Minutes||3 places/$30, $20, $10 for each category|
|Masters 60+||10:45 am||45 Minutes||Omnium Points Awarded|
|Junior/First Timers (Virgins)||11:35 am||25 minutes||Applause and more|
|Women A/B (Cat 1/2/3 & 3/4)||High Noon||45 minutes||3 places/$30, $20, $10 for both|
|C Race (Cat 4/5)||1:00 pm||45 minutes||3 places/$30, $20, $10|
|B Race (Cat 3/4)||2:00 pm||45 minutes||3 places/$30,$20,$10|
|A Race (Cat 1/2/3)||3:00 pm||60 minutes||5 places/$50,$40,$30,$20, $10|
- On Line Pregistration on BikeReg.com is $30.00 There will be a small surcharge for online registration. There are no refunds- entries are transferable to another day’s event. Season Pass Available for $275
- Race Day Entry fee for all races is $35.00. Only $15 for second race (on the same day…)
- Season Pass– buy all 10 races (Including the State Championship Race) for $275 (Must be purchased prior to the start of your 1st race)
- Women’s A and B will start with a :30 gap. There will be payout for both fields.
- Juniors Racers Under 18 are Free!(Must race in the Junior Category)
- Important Note!! Race numbers will be re-used for the entire series – New Numbers are $2.00. PLEASE hang on to your numero!
- Most events are in St. Louis County Parks, in the event of a very wet week or very rainy day the decision to conduct a race will be made by the St, Louis County Parks Department and we will communicate this information as soon as we can. No refunds on race day.
- Series title will be scored 20 places deep in each category. 1st through 20th points will be distributed: 50, 40, 34, 30, 26, 23, 20, 17, 14, 12, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
- Missouri State Championship race will be double points for the series. Medals and Jerseys for all classes.
- Big Shark Racing wishes to thank St. Louis County Parks for their continued support and use of their facilities.
- Canned Food Drive: At the Thanksgiving Bubba, please consider bring 1 can of food for every $100 your bike is worth. We predict 300-400 cans of food. Thank you!