Throughout the remainder of the summer, the St. Charles County Parks and Recreation Department, along with St. Louis Area Mountain Bikers (SLAMB) and Gateway Off-Road Cyclists (GORC), will host Mountain Bike Night Rides at county parks known for great biking trails. These challenging rides are open to experienced cyclists and offer an opportunity to experience park trails after hours.
Volunteers from SLAMB and GORC lead the rides. Each ride is allowed three hours; however, the length of the ride is dependent on the environment and trail conditions, number of riders, ability levels and number of volunteer leaders. The rides begin at the trailhead of each park, and signage is posted along the road to direct participants to the starting location. Riders must wear helmets and have a 600-lumen light to participate.
Upcoming rides are scheduled as follows:
• 9 p.m., June 2 at Broemmelsiek Park, 1795 Highway DD, Defiance
• 9 p.m., June 16 at Matson Hill Park, 670 Matson Hill Road, Defiance
• 9 p.m., June 30, Indian Camp Creek Park, 2679 Dietrich Road, Foristell
• 9 p.m., July 14, Broemmelsiek Park
• 8:30 p.m., Aug. 4, Matson Hill Park
• 8:30 p.m., Aug. 18, Indian Camp Creek Park
The rides are free; registration is not necessary, but encouraged. Those planning to participate should check the St. Charles County Parks Rainout Line on the website, or call 636-707-0011, prior to the start time. Heavy rain, even days before the event, can make natural surface trails unusable. For a complete schedule or more information, visit www.stccparks.org and click on the online registration link.